You will require to have a Louisiana vehicle bill of sale form while selling or buying a vehicle in Louisiana. A bill of sale serves as a legal document that indicates the transfer of ownership. In case, there is any discrepancies pertaining to the vehicle then a bill of sale in Louisiana serves as legal proof.
What to include on a Louisiana bill of sale?
You have to include the following details while creating your own bill of sale for Louisiana;
- The complete names of seller and the buyer
- The date of sale
- The selling price of the vehicle
- Vehicle details like make, model, year, and VIN
- A seller’s and a buyer’s contact information
- The seller and the buyer signatures that are witnessed by a registered notary
Register a vehicle in Louisiana:
To register the vehicle in Louisiana in your name, you have 40 days from the date of purchase. Until you have been registered your vehicle, you aren’t allowed to drive the vehicle on public roads. Moreover, to register the vehicle, you have 30 days from your date of residency in case you are transferring a vehicle from out of state to Louisiana.
For the first time, if you are registering the vehicle then you can register it by mailing your document to the Louisiana OMV or by visiting a local office of OMV. Every 2 years, the registration of vehicles must be renewed. Through the Office of Motor Vehicles’ online portal, you can renew your vehicle’s registration.
However, you can submit payments in the following forms;
- Money Order
- Cashier’s Check
- Electronic Funds Transfer
- Business or personal check. In this case, you have to print on the check your phone number, address, and driver’s license number.
Additionally, you can make your payments in the following ways if you are dropping off your documentation and payment;
- Credit or debit card
- An electronic funds transfer
- Money order
A transaction fee of $1.25 plus 1% will be charged for credit and debit card payments and a fee of $1.00 is charged for E-check payments.
Louisiana Vehicle Bill of Sale Form
Louisiana Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale Form
Free Fillable Louisiana Vehicle Bill of Sale Form
The documents that are required while registering the vehicle:
- A Louisiana bill of sale
- You must have a valid Louisiana driver’s license
- A completed Odometer Disclosure Statement
- The original Certification of Title
- A completed Vehicle Application
- A completed Notice of Vehicle Transfer
- From an accredited station, a certificate of inspection
- The required fund to cover the appropriate registration fees
- With a recognized Louisiana insurance provider, proof of insurance
- On the behalf of the owner, if you are registering or titling the vehicle, then Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney is required.
- You will require the following in case the vehicle that you are registering is/was financed;
1- Uniform Commercial Code-1 Financing Statement (UCC-1)
2- A Security Agreement
3- Chattel Mortgage